This is by far one of my favorite soups and I found a perfect recipe on www.marthastewart.com! It sticks to the basics but also has a few extra things to create a masterpiece. On cool crisp evenings, a good potato broccoli cheddar soup will warm the soul.
35 mins total time
25 mins in preparation
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic minced (2 tablespoons)
- 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes (11/2 cuts peeled & chopped w salt & pepper)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice & grated zest for serving
- 2 large shallots, halved & thinly sliced
- 2 pounds broccoli, stems peeled & chopped & florets cut into 1 inch pieces (about 5 cups florets)
- 2 packed cups grated white cheddar
- 4 slices rustic Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add shallots, half of garlic, broccoli stems, potatoes, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 5 cups water; season with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add 3 cups broccoli florets; cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Let cool slightly. Transfer to a blender with 1 cup cheese; puree until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
2. Stir together remaining cheese and garlic. Place bread on one side of a rimmed baking sheet, and remaining broccoli florets on other. Drizzle both with oil; season with salt and pepper. Top bread with cheese mixture. Roast 15 minutes, tossing florets halfway through. Serve soup topped with toasts, florets, and zest.
Use Coupon Code: KESSKULTURE and receive 15% Off Sitewide!*
*Cannot be combined with other discounts and cannot be applied to the Outlet Shop or KESS Custom products.